This particular soap is one of my most requested. It is a coconut milk bastille soap with cocoa butter and rice bran oil. It is colored with activated charcoal and brick red oxide. It makes a nice hard and light soap that lasts a long time and manages to smell like burning incense.
This is a basic vegetable based soap, made of olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil, cocoa butter and castor oil. I added 1 teaspoon of sea salt and sugar to the oil and I replaced half of the distilled water with coconut milk.
For the colorant I separated the batter into three parts and blended in brick red oxide and activated charcoal, I used activated charcoal and some titanium dioxide for the grey.
I was looking for a thicker trace to do a drop swirl that wont instantly blend, plus alternating hangar swirls.
The scent is Dragon’s Blood, the resin from the dracena tropical plant.
For this I used a half mold silicone container and a clothes hangar. The colorant is activated charcoal and brick red oxide. I split the batter 60% charcoal/40% brick red oxide. Pouring most of the charcoal batter into the mold at a thin trace I then dropped in the red from various heights. Then I took the hangar and I did an up and down pattern through the soap all the way down to touch the bottom and up and out of the soap. Do this across the entire loaf, very close but not over lapping. then turn the mold to the side and do the same thing again. I did not do a fancy top here, The batter was still pretty thin so I filled some rounds with the rest. I made this as a split batch of soap. I like to make only 4-6 bars of any one kind of soap so the half loaf mold is perfect. I make enough for a full loaf and then create two different small batches of soap at once.
I am hoping I get white suds, it’s easy to over do the charcoal and end up with grey bubbles. I cut them a little early, I could have waited another 12 hours but was impatient and there’s still some soda ash to clean up later. I scented it with Tea Tree Essential Oil.
I made the small soap hearts for a future project… lots of soda ash there.
Leave it to me to use a difficult sample scent for my first batch of cold process soap. Here is my rose scented soap. It was going to have some red swirls but there was no time. I also was learning how big of a recipe I needed for the mold I have. Recipe was a little small, not so pretty but it smells nice.
For my second batch things went a little more like I had planned. I ended up with the correct amount, the color, look and scent that I wanted and only a bit of soda ash to clean up. I was able to do the design I wanted.